Monday 17 October 2016

Fimo is not poisonous (Polymer clay)

One of the most pervasive myths about polymer clay, is that it is poisonous.  I am telling you now that it is not.

How this myth got started 

I have heard that it was spread around by the first generation of polymer clay artists, because they saw that the clay was so perfect that the market could very easily get flooded with competition.

There is no actual proof of this that I have seen and even if it is true,  they where not successful. There are tones of excellent artists selling their creations.

I think it is more likely that it was a combination of the fact that it is a plastic and the fact that responsible sellers say  ( like I do in my literature) that their clay products are not to be in contact with food or drink.  When you put clay on the outside of glass or ceramic,  it's OK. Here is why we say this;

If you put baked clay under a microscope,  you will find it has a pitted surface.  This means that it is hard to get the surface germ free.  See porous, not poisonous.

But what about the fumes when you bake it? 
While it does omit a slight chemical smell while baking, fumes is really far too dramatic a word.

If you chose to spend the whole day huffing them,  you would have no effect other than waisted time. If you don't like the smell in your oven,  simply cover the tray with foil.

Certified safe for children 
 Above is a pack of Fimo.  If you look in the bottom left corner,  you will see the symbol below.



The AP (Approved Product) Seal 

This identifies art materials that are safe and that are certified in a toxicological evaluation by a medical expert to contain no materials in sufficient quantities to be toxic or injurious to humans, including children, or to cause acute or chronic health problems. Such products are certified by ACMI to be labeled in accordance with the chronic hazard labeling standard, ASTM D 4236, and the U. S. Labeling of Hazardous Art Materials Act (LHAMA).



And finally....
The last bit that should convince you.  I  have eaten Fimo myself and I am fine. 

I do my clay work from my bed and I also have a snack supply (some healthy and some naughty). I have lost count of the amount of times that I dropped a bit of chocolate and found brown clay. I  know my mistake only by the fact that it basically is tasteless. 

So let your kids loose on some Fimo.  You will then get to treasure their creativity forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment