Wednesday 28 September 2016

Copywrite. Why I can't make some things even if I really want to

The definition of copyright;
"the exclusive and assignable legal right, given to the originator for a fixed number of years, to print, publish, perform, film, or record literary, artistic, or musical material."
This is in the laws of basically every country.  If you discover that someone copying your work,  you have the right to legally force them to stop and you may sue them.
It will go to court and if a judge finds that it is close enough to breach the copyright,  then they will issue you a CCJ.
This means that you get it on your credit record and that becomes absolutely pants.  You will have to pay a large fine  (anywhere from thousands to millions), your court costs and the court costs of the people suing you.
Any insurance that you have,  will not cover you for this because you broke the law.  So,  it can ruin lives.
Without naming any names,  there are a lot of companies that have whole departments where looking for people who have infringed their copywrite. They have gone after fan art, very small businesses and even people who reviewed their products.
If you are making any money from it in any way,  you need the written consent of the owner or they can sue.  No exceptions.
Most companies will want payment for this consent,  if they decide to entertain the idea.  They can say no, with no reasons necessary.
I have terrible luck.  I bunked school once and was caught by a member of staff who only came in to the school once a year to do dyslexia assessments. I have a hundred similar stories of me trying to do something naughty and getting caught.  I  never get away with it.  NEVER!
I assure you all that I would truly love to make "Game of thrones" pieces,  or Disney,  Nintendo,  Nicalodian,  Saga,  Waner brothers etc. I just can't afford to. 
Yes, I know that a lot of other people do this and you can find tones of non official merchandise and they have sold for years with no problems.  I think they must have got my portion of luck.
On the positive side,  this allows me to focus on developing my own style. My art can come from my creativity and imagination.  When you copy,  you don't grow. 
Over the last year,  you can see my progress in my work.  I  have  developed so much as a sculptor and my biggest hope for my life is to be able to keep my business going, so that I can Continue this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment