Friday 30 September 2016

My diversity penguins



One of the first characters I made was this little cartoon penguin.  It started life as a charm,  that shortly after joined my Christmas decorations range.


I love this little fellow so much, that when I started to make boxes,  I really wanted to do one of my little penguin friend.


Shortly after making my penguin love box, we where fortunate enough to witness a wonderful landmark in the evolution of mankind;  gay civil partnerships became legal.

I was so happy  for humanity, I wanted to celebrate the occasion.  So I decided to make 4 little statues and I felt that my penguin was perfect for the job.



I made 2 gay penguins;  2 penguins kissing,  one wearing a bow tie and the other wearing a scarf in the gay flag colours.  There is a little gay pride flag on the base.

Then it was the lady's turn.


2 statues of the same kissing penguins, but this time one had a flower and the other had a handbag.  They also had a gay flag on the base.

One of each of these statues have found their forever homes. After them being avaliable in my shop for a few months,  I was contacted by a lovely lady wanting a commission made.

She said that her best friend (Jacob) was a nurse who was also gay and she wanted the statue turned into a box for his 21st birthday.




I  was particularly proud of the name badge. 

Several months after this,  I was commissioned to make a box for a disabled people's help center called "The hub". 

As soon as I decided to make this donation, I knew exactly what I wanted to make and I felt that it really had to be my penguin again. 




They were really pleased with it and it has lived in the window of the premises on the main high street in Epsom, Surrey ever since.

I have ventured into more realistic penguins,  but I will always love my original cartoon penguin.


My penguin has donned his white coat again! This time it's for a name plaque that I have made for my GP.


Assuming that I am able to keep working as a clay sculptor,  I am certain that my cute little penguin will feature in future projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment