Friday 16 September 2016

Using other materials with Fimo /Polymer clay

As you know,  my primary material is Fimo professional  (polymer clay,  but I do mount them on other materials and use other things to decorate.
I think I should split them into 2 categories;
1) Bits I bake
If it can survive 110oc without catching fire or melting,  then you can use it with your raw clay and bake it all together. 
This includes obvious things like metal, glass, crystal, ceramic and stone. But there are things that you would not expect like polystyrene,  wood, some cloths and even some plastics.
I would first Google the meting temperature and ignition temperature of the item.  Failing that, it's time to experiment.
I  try a bit of the thing I want to add  (or the whole thing) in the oven at 110oc and keep an eye on it and a old wet cloth to put any fire out.  If it survives 40 minutes,  you can use it.
You would not believe the things that I have heard used. Sweet wrappers as armature space fillers,  even some bloke who made monster models,  who used his toenail clippings as teeth!  I  don't think he told his customers. Gross.
2) Attach afterwards
I will keep this brief as it's pretty obvious, but if it's not going to survive the oven then stick it on afterwards. So, let's talk glue.
Polymer clay is in the plastic family and anything acetone will simply melt the surface of the clay and fall off.  This is what happens when you use superglue,  don't use superglue.
My glue of choice is 2 part epoxy.  You have to make sure that the 2 liquids are mixed until it goes cloudy,  then you have around 20 seconds before it sets.  Only mix a small amount and make sure you have planned where the glue is going and exactly how you are attaching the 2 bits.  You do not have time to make any decisions once you get mixing.
If I want something that has a thicker consistency,  I  use No more nails.  It dries white,  but I bet you could add a colour in. 
I will let you know if I discover any new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment