Friday 23 September 2016

How I make my decorative bowls (caning with Fimo/Polymer clay)

Have you wondered how I manage to get the same picture repeated so accurately?

What about the mystery that is how I managed to make pictures at all, considering I don't use paint  (it's all coloured clay?

I use a technique called caning.  I  have heard manycomplicated explanations on how to do this,  but I think I can make it very simple.

Your aim is to make a big picture 20 + centimetres at least.  It doesn't have to be perfect, as it will be shrunk down.  It needs to be at least a few centimetres thick.  So, if you wanted a circle,  you would make a sausage shape with the ends flat.

I advise putting a thin layer of black around the sides of the elements of the picture,  as this will give it a drawn effect.




You then need to add a background.  This is because the last stage is far easier if the picture is either round,  square or rectangular.

You then need to sandwich it between 2 glass tiles.  This is so that when you do the last stage,  it all pulls up evenly.  Without this you will end up with a lot of cane that is unusable.

Once it is sandwiched,  either leave it alone for a few hours  (which I never havethe patients for) or whack it in the fridge for 10 minutes.  If you don't do this and go straight to the last stage,  it will end up with the picture going wonky.


We are finally on to the last stage and it looks like magic!

Using your hands,  you start adding even pressure to the middle of the sides pushing outwards to the glass plates.  You need to make sure you do all the sides the same amount in order to keep your image central.

You do this until the image has shrunk down to the desired size. You can always shrink down some of the cane some more at a later point, but you can not enlarge it again.

Your image will go through the whole clay stick likein a rock sweet.  Then you can use slices.

You can use this technique to make tons of different designs. For example,
flowers


Or bullseye canes make good foliage
If you are interested in trying this,  I suggest you look on YouTube or Pintrest for Polymer clay cane tutorials.

No comments:

Post a Comment