Thursday 8 September 2016

Why I make boxes

Although I make a lot of different home decor items,  my favourite thing to make are decorative boxes.  So,  here is how this came to be.
When I opened my shop,  the first thing that I made was a range of charms.  The big lesson I got from this was that I prefer working on a larger scale.  So, I made a couple of statues.
I enjoyed making the statues far more than the charms,  so I knew that I was on the right track.  The thing that kept coming to mind was "they look good,  but what about a better function?"
The answer came to me on one of the many nights that I am kept awake with pain in various places.  It was silly o clock,  far too early to do more than write myself a note so I didn't forget.  It turns out that this was not needed as my brain was insistent on mulling it over until I finally got to sleep.
Two days later and I was well enough to start claying in bed.  I had worked out that I could make a chest if I cut a rectangular base and made the sides from one long strip.  I  then filled it with uncooked rice,  so that it held its shape.  I  then made a flat lid that I attached tiny hinges and a clasp,  then made the holes for them on the box.  It all got baked and assembled.
I could then put my models on the lid.  I  did 2 commissions and 3 different chests for my shop.
I  was not happy that I could not get straight sides and I didn't like the hinges as I felt they where not as strong as the rest of it.
I then experimented with using a metal pastry cutter in the sides.  It meant that they where smaller,  but they looked perfect.  With this settled,  I turned to the lid.  I decided it was best to go for one that sits on the box and is held in place by a raised band on the underside. 
I had finally found the perfect base for my figures.
I do find it hard when people order a box with nothing on the lid.  It feels like they ordered a blank canvas,  but I am learning to respect the fact that not everyone wants my creative touch.

1 comment: